Saturday, November 05, 2005

Sciences-within creation and destruction

I completed Michael Crichton "State of Fear" yesterday night (in fact, it was 1am this morning) and it left me with various questions in my mind. I had to agree that Mr Crichton had created yet another way in provoking the mind of the reader. If Mr Dan Brown provoke us in the religious point of view, Mr Crichton did it in the point of science and environmental point of view.

After completing the book, it took me some hours to digest what the book is all about. A few questions then rose up from my mind. As what the book had said, the public had come to believe that all the natural disaster, such as global warming, greenhouse effect, El Nino, etc, has been caused by the human through the execessive release of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. However, according to the scientific studies, this has not been the case, and instead of the earth getting warmer, it has becoming colder in this few years. So, is it what the book had said, the the public was being hide away from the true about the on-going condition of the earth?? Or is it because we as the public had been ignorance about the true condition of the world?? Or the mass media had yet created the so-called state of fear among the public, which sounded that the earth condition is becoming worse, and to make us fear of it, and thus resort to environmentist movement??? Whatever it is, it really makes me ponder on my stand towards the environmental issues.

I still remembered last week, when I was chatting with my chat buddy about this issue. Well, what she said is quite true to me. She told me that all the natural disasters, such as tsunami, earthquake, hurricane, etc, have been on-going ever since the earth is being created. However, it is not the fault of the natural when it took away thousand of life each time when it struck. It was because of human being themselve who should be blamed for it. Human being nowadays had been stepping too close to the area which these disaster occurred. Which means the exploitation of the natural has been too profound that we, as the higher intellectual beinb on earth, had been steeping closer to danger zone.

Yet, the book also makes me ponder yet another issue, that's is the cause of the natural disaster. I used to believe that all the natural disaster had happened due to natural causes. However, in this book, it open up my eyes that these can be done by using the vulnerable side of science and technology. And I began to wonder whether all those happening nowaday has been caused by sicences, or it just happened naturally. This is a question which I do not have a certain answer, but I would rather believe that it was the latter which is the cause.

As well, it also show us the bad effect of science to us. Sciences, if being applied in a better way, can make human life better, and help in creation of new thing, new theory, etc....However, if it is being applied in the wrong way, it could mean destruction to the world population. Whatever it takes, I just hope that all of us will be able to use sciences in the correct way......

...."Sciences is just an object, it is up to the user to make it benefitable or destructable.....Anonymous"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home